Friday, March 27, 2015

Treasures of History

     History has been and always will be my passion. So majoring in History seemed like a natural next step when I enrolled at U of M-Dearborn. Sitting at a desk during Freshman orientation staring at the official form where I would confirm my major, I remember doubting this decision. What could I hope to accomplish? Why not choose a more “viable” major? After four years at CASL as a History student, I am glad I made the decision I did. Taking classes in CASL’s Honors Program fostered my love of history and expanded my understanding of the field. With every History class I took, I became more and more engrossed in my chosen field and now plan on eventually furthering my education in grad school, with an aim at becoming a future History professor.

     The turning point for me when I knew that I had most assuredly made the right choice was during Professor Rayne Allinson’s History 300 course, where the class was tasked with determining if the King Arthur of legend had any basis at all in history, whether as a Roman or as a Briton. Through this experience I rediscovered why I loved history in the first place. Sorting through primary source documents and trying to uncover glimmers of truth, from the Dark Ages to early 20th century America, my chosen field of study, is a challenging, and at times frustrating, experience. History, myth, and legend are often intertwined even in modern history, and critically examining the past to arrive at larger truths is an extremely rewarding experience. In the ethereal song “Dream Away,” musician George Harrison reflects on this inter-connected nature of history, myth, and legend: “Tumbling through a thousand centuries, you don't know where you'll land. It's so dark in mythology; treasures of history to be found, near the legends of time. All the handiworks remain there, only a dream away...”

     Off campus, I have applied the research skills learned in these courses while interning at the Dearborn Historical Museum. Working with Curator Jack Tate and Collections Manager Ryan Slavin, I have gained experience in accessioning objects, researching the local history of many items belonging to past Dearborn residents, and organizing the museum’s archives. I have since developed a keen interest in local history and would recommend that any CASL student, History major or otherwise, spend some time working or volunteering at a local museum in the Metro-Detroit area. You’d be surprised at the interesting treasures of history waiting to be found, both in actual artifacts and in the experiences of those who have chosen history as their passion.

Matthew Graff is a History Student and a History Honors Scholar.

1 comment:

  1. Matthew, This is a fabulous journey to read. Thanks for helping my Saturday get off to a great start! Francine

    ReplyDelete