Friday, October 16, 2015

I once lived in a Castle but now I am climbing up the Eiffel Tower

Once Upon A Time, there was a young man who lived in a castle and studied French and Linguistics. His passion for French and Linguistics took him across the world to climb up the Eiffel Tower but who knew it would happen so soon? After having lived in France for more than a month, as not only as an exchange student but also as a French major with a minor in Linguistics, I cannot express how it feels to get to the top of the Eiffel Tower. It was not too long ago that I was staring upwards as the Eiffel Tower lit up the surrounding area.

However, before this all happened it was definitely a struggled but I owe it all to my professors: Gabriella Eschrich, Lindsay Colby, Stéphan Spoiden, Jamie Lee, and Daniel Davis. All of these amazing professors have showed me in various ways what it means and what it takes to think outside the box. I was challenged academically but they all saw more potential in me and encouraged me to take this journey abroad.
I must admit being a French major in CASL is somewhat rare and that is a good thing. It definitely takes a special person to continue with a foreign language because ultimately it is another way of thinking about the world and perceiving the world. I guess those who study foreign languages have something in common with all the soldiers who fought throughout the night so we could be here today. We are dedicated, open minded, able to adapt to various environments and can find a way to survive.
After studying French for 4 years, I thought I would have all the tools needed but I was wrong. Learning a foreign language is a lifetime task. For example, My first week in France I had to open up a bank account and do various other normal things such as: getting health insurance, getting directions to the bus or train station, ordering food, buying supplies such as a fitted bed sheet, Band-Aids etc. I did not have the knowledge of how to express those things. Immediately I wanted to turn around and go back home because I was outside my comfort zone.

The days dreadfully went by going into my second week. I went to the welcome week events where I met more ERAMUS students from all over Europe, South Korea, Africa, South America, Greenland, and the UK. Linguistically and Culturally, I was enchanted and consumed by how different we all were but we had one goal in mind that lead us here. Yet, I felt disgusted. I was disgusted by everything and how I missed some of the most annoying things in America. I missed the annoying sound of the microwave going off, driving in traffic, all of the detours because of construction on the roads in Michigan, my friends, and my family. I missed it all. Most importantly, I felt challenged and alone.

However, I soon realized that I was changing the entire time by being here. I had to accept the fact that everybody does not get this opportunity. Yes… it sucked at times dealing with a new culture and depending on the train or bus. One night though it was raining and some of the ERAMUS students and I went to see la basilique du sacré-cœur and there was a warm wave of content that engulfed me. My perspective on France changed slowly just as you awaken from a long dream. Looking back, I was able to see Monuments that people dream of seeing their entire life and that is a privilege. I want to thank Maureen Linker who taught me that we often fail to see when we are privileged but can see when we are oppressed. After noticing that I felt like it was my duty to take this experience and show it to those who may not get this chance. I wanted to use my privilege by being here and share it with others. I have been recording all of my adventures traveling around Paris for the past month. Through the dimly lit alleys on those rainy nights to walking past the Eiffel tower on the sunny days. My friends and family have seen all that I can see. I owe them that much. Indeed, my intention is not to brag about how I am here but to inform the readers that if your dreams do not scare you then they are not big enough and you never know where your dreams will take you and who you can meet. I have not grown in ways that I hoped I would by coming here, maybe I just have not noticed yet, but I have grown in many other ways.

Tyree Martin is a French major with a Linguistics minor studying abroad at the University of Versailles. He'll be posting regularly about his semester in Europe.




No comments:

Post a Comment